Sunday, December 07, 2008

to the smiling lady on the tube

So when you just stepped into the same compartment of the train as me, I thought you were quite as glad as me to see the train relatively empty.
But you continued to smile to the second minute of you being on the train, I thought you were smiling at yourself, thinking the train to be a roller coaster and balancing a straight stand was a trick you were trying to master.
But two stops down and the grin seemed to stay on...
And was there all the way to the 5th stop when I was to get off...
All through I tried to distract myself from the constant noise of the underground, imagining why you were smiling.
Maybe a salary hike, or a new job in the midst of recession, or your favourite icecream waiting for you in the fridge, or a party or a new dress you'd just bought or a complement from a stranger or a 'we're proud of you' from mom & dad or a the best kiss you remember or the jokes that your team at work was cracking or the beautiful solution to a problem at work or just a pretty bunch of flowers...
I dont even remember what all I thought of.
Maybe you just had a smiling face or maybe it was just love.
Makes me think yet again how often do I do this and and how many people on the tube are guessing "what-the-hell-is-she-smiling about!?!".
But all in all I think you should just continue to smile, cause in this season of bad news, we'd all like to atleast feel that the world's not so glum after all.

No comments: